These regulations are to efficiently administrate
the International Referees of the WTF as the by-law of the Article 2 of the
Rules & Regulations and the Article 20- of the Competition Rules.
Overall administration of the International
Referees shall be made by the WTF Secretariat.
The WTF will grant qualification as the International
Referee of the WTF to those who have passed the prescribed examination at
the International Referee Seminar conducted by the WTF and have registered
at the WTF Secretariat within the prescribed time limits.
- International Referee Seminar
The International Referee Seminar shall be
conducted by the WTF only, and the outline of the Sminar is as follows:
- Qualification for application
- Hoder of Kukkiwon/WTF certificate of 4th Dan
or higher, however, 2nd Dan holder may attend the Sminar on
recommendation of the president of the newly affiliated National Association
or of the National Association undergoing Taekwondo development.
- Hoder of national referee certificate by the pertinent
National Association, however, the application from the newly affiliated
National Association or the National Association undergoing Taekwondo
development may attend the Seminar without national referee certificate.
- The one recommended by the pertinent National Association
- The one who has command of oral & written English
- The one who has no physical defect and chronic disease
from 25 years up to 50 years of age.
4.2 General Information
4.2.1. Attendance fee : Prescribed fee of
attendance shall be paid.
4.2.2. Round trip airfare and accommodation
charges of room and board shall be borne by the participant.
- Curriculum : Status of the WTF, Rules & Regulations,
Competition Rules, Foundation of Refereeing, Basic Concepts of Taekwondo
competition, Using method of judge’s electronic scoring instrument, Referee’s
hand signal, and other Taekwondo theories. Provided, however, that such
subjects as Competition Rules, Foundation of Refereeing, Using method
of judge’s electronic scoring instrument and Referee’s hand signal shall
be obligatory completed.
- Total hours for education : 24 hours or more
- Examinatio : Written examination, practical test and
The WTF shall conduct a prescribed examination
to those who have completed the course of the seminar. Each of written examination,
practical test and interview shall be taken on the basis of 100 points, and
the one who have obtained not less than 60 points of average subject to not
less than 40 points each of examination shall be regarded to be successful passed.
The WTF makes it a rule to announce the results
of the screening on the same day of the examination, however, the results may
noticed later, as the case may be, to each individual and pertinent National
Association. The results will also be publicized in the WTF magazine.
The one who have received from the WTF an official
notice of success in the examination shall register at the WTF secretariat with
the formal registration documents required by the WTF together with the fixed
registration fee within 6 months(deadline for registration is based on the post-maked
date) from the date of the notice. In case of failure in registration within
the prescribed time limits, the successful applicant will be considered relinquishing
the qualification as International Referee.
- Registration document
- Prescribed curriculum vitae
- Prescribed statement of pledge
- Prescribed measurement of uniform
- Registration Fee
Registration fee will be fixed by the WTF and
it includes the fees of registration, annual membership for that year, uniform,
card and badge.
- Referee uniform and shoes
- The coloer of uniform shall be yellow and that of tie shall
be dark blue.
- Specifications of uniform, including shape and fabric material,
shall be decided by the WTF.
- The shoes shall be white one.
International Referees are classified into
five categories of S. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and P
- 3rd class is grated to the one holding Kukkiwon
4th Dan or higher who has registered at the WTF Secretariat after
having passed the prescribed examination at the Internation a Referee Seminar.
- P class is granted to the one holding Kukkiwon 2nd
Dan who has registered at the WTF Secretariat after having passed the prescribed
examination at the International Referee Seminar.
- Other classes are to be granted in accordance with the
procedures described in Article 8.2.
- Application of promotion
- Application method
Application shall be made in writing to
the WTF Secretariat.(Form enclosed)
The WTF will have screening meetings two
times a year(June and December) for selection of the eligible Referees to
be promoted according to the Article 8.2. The results will be notified to
each applicant publicized on the WTF magazine.
- Requirements for promotion
Only International Referees who have paid
up the prescribed annual fees to the WTF may apply for promotion.
- Requirements for promotion to S class
- Passage of 10 years or more after promotion to 1st
- 50 years and over at the time of application
- 10 times or more refereeing experiences at the international
Taekwondo events promoted or approved by the WTF after promotion to 1st
Class passage of a thesis examination on a certain subject to be designated
by the WTF.
- Annual fees of the International Referees holding S
class qualification are exempted.
- Requirements for promotion to 1st class
- Passage of 5 years or more after promotion to 2nd
- 8 times or more refereeing experiences at the international
Taekwondo events promoted or approved by the WTF after promotion to 2nd
class and passage of a thesis examination on a certain subject to be designated
by the WTF.
- Requirements for promotion to 2nd class
- Passage of 3 eyars or more after obtainment of 3rd
- 5 times or more refereeing experiences as 3rd
class IR at the international Taekwondo events promoted or approved by the
- Requirements for promotion to 3rd class
- The one holding P class qualificatio may request for promotion
to 3rd class when promoted to Kukkiwonn(or WTF) 4th
- Any International Referee who has been submitted to a
disciplinary measure will be excluded from the promotion to higher class
until he/she is released from the disciplinary action.
- Honorary Interational Referee
Any International Referee may request for
nomination of Honorary International Referee.
- 55 years and mover as a 3rd class International
Referee or higher.
- Passage of 10 years or more after obtaining the International
- Qualification as an International Referee is maintained,
but the Honorary International Referees are excluded from the nomination
to officiate at the international Taekwondo events promoted or approved
by the WTF.
- Annual fees of the Honorary International Referee are exempted.
- Validity and suspension of qualification.
- A membership card is issued every year to the International
- Any International Referee who have not paid the prescribed
annual dues for consecutive 3 years is automatically deprived of his/her
qualification as a WTF International Referee, and it is notified to the
pertinent person and the National Association. It is also publicized in
the WTF magazine.
- Annual fee
- The annual fee shall be paid in advance by the end of March
every yar along with a photo( 3 cm ´ 4 cm)
required for renewal of the IR membership card.
- The prescribed annual fees are as follows:
- 1st class : US$ 100
- 2nd class : US$ 70
- 3rd class : US$ 50
- P class : US$ 50
- International Referee Refresher Course
- The WTF conducts the International Referee Refresher Course
for education on the amended Competition Rules, etc. as well as improvement
of quality as the International Referee.
- The International Referee who has attended an International
Referee Refresher Course or who has been appointed as an assistant lecturer
for an International Referee Refresher Course is considered to have experienced
in officiating at an international Taekwondo event promoted or approved
by the WTF.
- The one whose qualification has been deprived in accordance
with the Article 10.2 is allowed to attend an International Referee Refresher
Course after payment of annual fees in arrears, and the restoration of qualification
is granted one time only to the pertinent person.
- A graduation deploma is given to the one who has attended
an International Referee Refresher Course.
- Selection of International Referees for the Olympic Games
and any international Taekwondo events such as World Championships and World
Cup, etc. promoted by the WTF shall be done by the WTF. For the regional
and other international events approved by the WTF. The Regional Union or
the hosting National Association is entitled to select the required number
of International Referees provided the Union or the Association informs
the WTF of the selected International Referees for prior approval not later
than one moth before the event.
- The WTF shall send each regional union the list of International
Referees residing in the pertinent region by the end of February every year.
- The International Referee shall abide by all the rules
with pride and dignity as the International Referee of the WTF.
- The International Referee shall be familiar with the Competition
Rules and the quiding principle concerned.
- The International Referee shall officiate at any Taekwondo
events without partiality in consideration of the fact that decisions made
by the International Referees shall be conclusive.
- The International Referee shall wear the uniform designated
by the WTF before officiating at the events.
- The International Referee shall do possible efforts not
to bring about any unnecessary suspension of a match in officiating, and
shall use the prescribed hand signals.
- The International Referee shall inform both of the pertinent
National Association and the WTF of his/her changes on address, etc. and
he/she shall be responsible for any disadvantages due to lack of such contacts.
- Disciplinary measures
- In case that any International Referee has committed follwing
behaviors, the WTF takes disciplinary measures such as warning, rebuke,
suspension or deprivation of qualification in accordance with the regulations
on sanctions of the WTF.
- If turned out that intentional fabrication of judgement
has been committed at any international Taekwondo events promoted or approved
by the WTF, the qualification of the pertinent International Referee shall
be deprived. Even though it is proved that the misjudgement has been committed
by mistake, not intentionally, any kind of disciplinary measures shall
be taken to the pertinent International Referee.
- In case of committing any behaviors bringing disgrace
of the WTF such as receiving money or other valuables in connection with
a judgement, the pertinent International Referee shall be disciplined
by deprivation of qualification or other form of disciplinary measures.
- When the limit of disciplinary measures is decided, the
WTF shall notify the pertinent International Referee and the National Association
of the result.
- Other disciplinary measures against International Referee’s
misconducts shall be taken according to the regulations on sanctions of
- All the existing International Referees before the effective
date of this regulations shall be considered to be recognized by this regulations.
- These regulations shall be effective as of November 15.
Enacted : Aug. 17, 1993.
Revised : Nov. 15, 1995